October 21, 2010

Sam-cabulary

I think Sam may be one of those children who didn't get around to talking until he was almost 3, and then has a LOT to tell you. Basically the opposite of his sister, who has been able to talk since she was about 1, but getting her to tell you anything is nearly impossible.

"Crocigator" - his combination of crocodile and alligator. Really, who can tell them apart anyway? Why not just go with Crocigator?

"I'm hot!" - what Sam will tell you on a windy 50 degree day while refusing to wear his coat. He's got that hot/cold detail mixed up.

"Tookie" - cookie

"Ayiss" - his sister, Alice.

"Yightening" - Lightning McQueen. Challenging when your L sounds like Y.

" 'pooky 'piders" - Sam evaluates many Halloween decorations to be 'pooky. A hereditary trait. Nana has a favorite story about me calling things 'pooky and 'cary.....

"Tell me a witch story!!" - what Sam asks for about 9 times a day for the past 3 months. If you know any good witch plot lines, please let us know. However, there are frequently requirements like, "One good witch and one bad witch", or "Two bad witch no good witch". The worst is when he wants a witch story on the drive to school before 8 a.m. I just can't dream one up at that hour.

A recent conversation while putting Sam to bed:
Mommy: "Do you want me to sing a song or just talk?"
Sam: "Mommy, let's talk. Let's talk about, hmmmmm, airplanes. How do airplanes fly? I don't know!?"
Mommy: "Um, I don't know either"

OH! And I almost forgot the best Sam-cabulary -
"I yuv you"

On the surprising side, Sam seems to be very astute with directions and will often yell "Turn here!!" when he knows where we are going. The surprising part being that he is frequently correct.

2 comments:

Kate said...

maybe Sam and Georgia can trade some L's and Y's with each other.

she is always lelling and enjoys the color lellow.

Emily said...

Clayton and his sister grew up loving the "Dorrie the Little Witch" series by Patricia Coombs. They're mostly out of print now, but Amazon has some newly reprinted ones and your library might have some . . . if you're desperate for witch stories that you don't have to invent!