April 19, 2011

If I Ran the Zoo

Dear Taronga Zoo, I would like to file a complaint. How dare you change things? I mean really, I used to know this zoo like the back of my hand. I knew the best route to get around. I even had an annual membership one year, I was taking visitors so frequently. And now you've gone and changed the entrance so everyone has to walk 15 minutes before getting to any actual animal display.... Sure, you're obviously making more money now ($112 for a family of 4 + $15 to park) and managing crowd control better and there are lovely, modern restrooms and amenities and stuff. But I was happy with the old zoo. Boo hoo, new zoo.

I mean, I guess the view from the zoo is okay....

Sam and his new super-sun-blocking Aussie hat

Picnic on the lawn to watch....

the live Diego show!! (right before Diego came out I was wondering if he would suddenly have an Aussie accent?!  Like, "G'day, I'm Diego! Crikey!"  But no, Diego was pre-recorded)

Taronga does have an amazing elephant enclosure now, and 3 baby elephants have been born there.

Elephant exercise


Actual Kookaburra sitting in the Old Gum Tree a Morton Bay Fig Tree

Alice and her favorite animals (should I spell it "favourite" while we are down here?)

Alice and her new idol

Thanks to Taascia for being super sweet and looking after Alice all day

Silly kids on Sky Safari ride

Hot, tired, silly kids


Ally and Sam with Rainbow Paddle Pops.   Ally has a huge crush on Uncle Lach.  All day we heard,  "Yock!  Han!"...  (Lach! Hand!)

No comments: