While weeding out the dress-up clothes in the basement last week, I had a shocking realization:
The princess phase Is. Over.
The princess phase was long. (August '08)
Alice's interest in princesses started around 3 1/2.
And dressing up about the same time.
And we played many many days of princesses.
But no more. I can't remember the last time Alice was a princess.
Today, maybe a mermaid or a fairy. If she is interested in dress up at all.
But no longer a princess waiting to be rescued.
Nor a princess donning heels and crown to fight off a bad guy.
I must admit, this was a realization that took my breath away. Reminds me that there are no sign posts along this road of growing-up. Things change. Children mature. Interests rise and wane. And you might as well embrace whatever phase it is while you're in it, because you're not going to get that time back. Nursing, gone. Baby food, gone. Rocking to sleep, gone. Crib, gone. Dress up, gone. Kindergartener..... almost gone. What's next, no more bedtime story? No more kiss goodbye at school? I can't even guess.
So I will stand back and watch as my princess, my baby, dances into the future.
And I cry a bit because I am a big sap. But regardless of the changes, she will always be my princess. And my baby.
4 comments:
Ok usually your posts don't make me cry, too, but you got me on this one!!!! Yes, she will always be our princess. And now my co-workers are looking at me strangely and wondering my I am all teary...... LOVE THE BLOG! - Tom T.
If it makes you feel any better - my "baby" graduated from 5th grade today! Middle school here she comes! Love you! Sara
So sweet and so bittersweet, you got me all teared up but at least I have pregnancy hormones to blame! Hey, that's an idea: have another baby! : ) Actually, this post was also a good reminder to always grab the camera to capture the everyday moments. I wonder when Georgia's gonna get super into the princess stuff or super into the dress up stuff? She does take to it now and then but hasn't yet embraced it like Alice did.
Oh - this post also reminded me of that super cute video of Alice as a baby saying "Soy la princesa!" (Or was it "Soy la reina!"?) See - it started very early for her!
ok, thanks beth, now bawling!
Post a Comment